Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Recent movie reviews

I have seen a lot of movies since I moved to Mumbai 15 months back...here's a short review of some of them

Generally i like films which make me smile, or which scare the shit out of me, or which intrigue me, or which have kick-ass, non-cgi action. I hate depressing films, or those with sad endings. If the movies has songs, they better be good.

Somehow I am beginning to like senti movies also now...which can't be good!

Loved it

Jaane tu ya jaane na:
The best movie i have seen in a long time. As good as Dil Chahta Hai. Everything's good about the movie. Excellent music

Aamir:
I loved the sinister, claustrophobic, paranoid, everybody-is-out-to-get-me feel of the movie...the music accentuates the feeling to breaking point. Liked the way it ended as well. I think the music went largely unnoticed...I bought the music cd after seeing the movie...excellent songs

In Bruges:
A delighful movie! British film with plenty of dark humour. Two assisins land in Bruges (a small town in Belgium) for an assignment...they run into a drug peddling girl, her jealous gangster bf, a racist midget, an Amsterdam hooker looking for greener pastures, and then their gangster boss joins the party. Reminds me a lot of Snatch and Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels. Pity it had a limited release.

Wild Hogs:
Saw it a few months back...again a delightful movie...stars john travolta. Four middle aged wannabe bikers hit the road. Everything's good...till the time they run into some real bikers! Here's the tag line: Four guys from the suburbs hit the road... and the road hit back.

Sunday:
Humour the way it should be. And I soooo love Ayesha Takia in this movie!!

Taree Zameen Par:
Everybody knows about it. Just saw Masoom the other day...another great movie about little kids

Chak De:
Finally Shah rukh stars in a good movie. His only decent film since Kabhi Haan Kabhi Na

U me aur Hum:
Good movie...though first half wasn't as funny as it could have been. Tackles the age old question: What would I do if the person I love gets crippled? Will my love stay the same? Or will my love become a burden?

Loins of Punjab, Mithya, Johnny Gaddar:
Great low budget films. Loins of Punjab is one of the greatest comedies of 2007!!

Liked it

Mere Baap Pehle Aap:
I had a very bad feeling about the movie...but had to see it to accompany family. First 30 minutes reinforced my bad feeling...gross juvenile humour that ain't even funny. However, thereon the movie started getting better and I came out of the hall smiling. And Genelia is amazing...I so much want to marry her !!! The movie has an old guy-young girl theme to it...also seen in Lamhe and Cheeni Kum. Lamhe was good...Cheeni Kum very average.

Bhool Bhulaiya:
Akshay Kumar's entry scene is amazing!!! And the bhool bhulaiya song is very good

Transformers:
First half is amazingly good, 2nd half is overdone action

Shaurya:
Disappointed me. It's a good movie, but I was expecting it to be much better. Kay Kay Menon just couldn't recreate the intensity of Jack Nicholson in the last coutroom scene. The last courtroom scene was very natural in A Few Good Men...here it looked contrived.

Woodstock Villa:
An assault on the senses...like a never ending music video!!! There is no straight camera shot in the movie, and no character in the movie ever gives a straight answer!! Sikander Kher does a good job...movie is worth seeing for the style

Dus Kahaaniyan:
I love films with short multiple stories...there were 4-5 in this that were pretty good. Did I tell you I loved Darna Mana hai and Darna Zaroori Hai. Eagerly waiting more such films

Average to Didn't like

The Happening
Again M Night Shyamalan creates a great atmosphere...but the movie goes nowhere

Khuda ke liye:
Too depressing for my liking. Though I still liked the first 30 mins of it

De taali:
Incompetent. Stayed on till interval for Ayesha Takia, then left

Tashan:
Again left half way. Someone told me 2nd half is relatively better...though I dont believe it. Only good thing about the movie was Akshay Kumar's entry scene.

Welcome:
Great songs, and it has its moments...but pretty average humour overall.

Superstar:
Boring movie, though Kunal Khemu is a natural actor

Partner:
Slapstick, gross, over the top humour...the kind I hate. David Dhawan was good in his early years...Shola aur Shabnam, Aankhein, Mr & Mrs Khiladi are supremely funny. The only recent movie of his I liked was Maine Pyar Kyun Kiya...Sohail Khan is unbelievable in that movie

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is truly a blog-buster. It's great to keep watching films, although I approach the exercise with a lot of indifference.

Why don't you write more timely reviews, they'll be a hit, I am sure.